Monday, January 14, 2013

January Project #1: The Baby Quilt

At the end of the year, I posted about my 2013 resolutions. One of them was to “finish what I start”, and under the same umbrella, tackle (and finish!) two projects each month. I’m thinking that a good way to keep myself accountable to this is to post about them here!

My first January project is done, and it went so well! It was part of a baby shower for my dear friend Meag Tutti. She’s due at the end of the month, and we hosted a Quilting Bee shower for her this past weekend. My biggest involvement with this shower was the surprise quilt we gave her as a group gift.
Her nursery is themed with woodland animals, so about a month before the shower, my friend Sarah and I planned out the quilt, drew up some woodland animal patterns, and put together ‘embroidery packages’ for a bunch of Meag’s friends to complete. Once we had all the finished pieces back, we pieced everything together with some amazing fabrics we found on Etsy and at Needlework, and set it up in a frame.
Some of the squares we received!
Figuring out the pattern...
Some of the cute fabrics we used.
We unveiled the quilt at the shower, and Meag was blown away! It was such a nice moment. Sarah became our official quilt teacher - there were 10 chairs, and about 40 people, so we just took turns learning and stitching. What's happening here is that the finished quilt top, the batting (in the middle) and the back of the quilt (plain brown cotton flannel) are being stitched together to actually finish the quilt. Once that's done, we'll add bias tape around the outside as the last step.
Sarah is a really good teacher.
HOW CUTE ARE THESE SQUARES?!?!
This is one of my favorite crafting projects I’ve ever worked on. Someone at the shower mentioned that it wasn’t just a quilt – it’s an heirloom and I think that’s a really special way to look at it. We had a second quilting night last night, and I guess technically I can’t call this project ‘finished’. The entire thing needs to be hand-quilted, so it will continue to be a work in progress for the next few weeks, but getting it ready in time for the shower was the main objective here, so in my books….success!

Oh, and how cute is Preggy Meaggie? Seriously!
(All high-quality images taken by Michelle Drew)
And in the spirit of keeping you posted, here are my upcoming projects!
January Project #2: The Harry Potter Wedding Shower
February Project #1: Operation Terri-Gets-Married (SO excited!)
February Project #2: The Braided Rug

1 comment:

  1. I can see why she was blown away -- that quilt is fantastic! I love the little hedgehog.

    ReplyDelete